Chorizo & Corn Bread Stuffing
I was in charge of making the stuffing for this year’s Thanksgiving. We all love chorizo stuffing with corn bread but, sometimes the corn bread can get a bit dry. So…I looked in my cookbooks, online, and finally came up with a stuffing that was pretty tasty! I combined two different recipes and added a mirepoix as the base for the stuffing http://bit.ly/V0lruU
And cheated…I used Jiffy box corn muffin mix!
~ I think this stuffing recipe is a keeper!
yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings (10 cups)
active time: 45 minutes
total time: 1 1/2 hours
1 box of Jiffy corn bread muffin mix
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 cups of each chopped onions, celery, and carrots (mirepoix)
- 1lb. of loose Chorizo http://shopperscorner.com
- 2 cups fresh, or thawed frozen, corn kernels (one 10-ounce package)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cups turkey stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Make Corn Bread according to box. And cool and set aside.
Melt butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, then add the mirepoix and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
Add chorizo, corn, sage, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add parsley.
Toss chorizo mixture with corn bread and transfer to a 13- by 9-inch baking pan. Drizzle with chicken broth.
Note: If you wanted to make this ahead of time just don’t add the chicken broth until ready for the oven.
Bake at 400°F uncovered, until golden brown on top about 30 minutes.