Yes I know….I didn’t post all week! Excuses, excuses, but honestly I was catering last weekend and then up at my sister’s house and finally… I was hit with a nasty cold…ugh (I didn’t get the cold at my sister’s house…you could literally eat […]
I have been getting some questions on what to do with the abundance of summer squash people have! There are so many things you could do with squash! I made this pizza with the summer squash that a friend gave me. Summer Squash Pizza Ingredients […]
Kids love to make pizza’s! So, that’s what we do when Pierce has friends over! Here is a super cute picture of my friend’s little girl making her Cheese with Red Sauce!
Pizza with Artichokes, Kalamata Olives and Caramelized Onions
1 can of Artichokes in water
1 jar of Kalamata olives
Caramelized onions (see below)
Grated Mozzarella cheese
1. Make pizza dough (see below)
2. One hour before cooking your pizza heat your oven to 550 degrees. I like to use my cast iron roasting pan for this because, it gets nice and hot which creates a nice crisp crust! A sheet pan would work too!
3. Caramelized onions: thinly slice onions. Heat sauté pan to med-hi heat then add olive oil and onions a pinch of salt and sugar. Finely chop up 1 tablespoon of rosemary and add to onions. Turn heat down to med-low and cook the onions stirring occasionally for about 45 minutes until golden brown. Set aside.
4. Cut Artichokes in half and sauté in olive oil until golden brown, then add the garlic until fragrant. Set aside and let cool.
5. Slice Kalamata olives in half.
6. Grate mozzarella cheese
7. On a well-floured surface, pull the dough to form a circle. Then roll out to the size you’d like. Transfer onto pizza pan, put about one tablespoon of olive oil on the crust (this helps to get the crust crispy), cover with cheese, leaving about a ½-inch rim. Top pizza with rest of ingredients: caramelized onions, artichokes and olives. I like to sprinkle the rim with a little kosher salt before I bake it.
7. Bake pizza for about 5-7 minutes depending on your oven. If the bottom is crisp, it usually means it’s done!
8. Take out of oven and sprinkle with about a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper! Yum!
Pizza Dough Recipe
Yield: 5-7 Pizza’s Time: About 2 Hours
1 packet of Fleishman’s Yeast (they come in a three pack)
2 teaspoons of sugar
1 ½ cups of luke warm water
4 ½ cup of all-purpose flour
1 ¼ teaspoons of salt
4 ½ tablespoons of olive oil
- Put one packet of Fleishman’s Yeast in bowl then add sugar and luke warm water and gently mix. Set aside.
- Wait until the bubbles appear and add the flour, salt and olive oil. Mix until dough comes together. Should be slightly sticky.
- Form into a ball (you don’t want to over work at this point it should have some air in it)
- Put dough in oiled bowl with a moist towel on top and let rise in a draft free spot for about an hour or until dough has risen.
- After an hour lightly punch dough down and place on floured surface. Form into individual pizza balls. Put balls into a dish and cover with a towel to rise again but, this time putting in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Peter’s wine pick: 2009 Sofia Rosé