When I have left over meat I usually make tacos but… I had some refried beans and some cabbage, so I thought, “I’ll make tostadas instead!” And they were so yummy and easy! These are perfect for a night when you just want to put something […]
Tag: Yellow Onion
I had made a falafel-crusted fish the other night and had some left over falafel mixture and yogurt sauce so… I made falafels with flat bread. I actually just used my pizza dough recipe and tweaked it so it didn’t rise as much as a […]
I grilled some salmon last night and had a bit left-over so; I decided to make salmon cakes that I served with a hoisin sauce ~ delicious! I took my basic crab cake recipe and tweaked it.
½ pound of cooked/grilled salmon
1/4 a yellow onion, coarsely chopped
½ loaf of a large Ciabatta or Sourdough Baguette, just use the insides of the bread not the crust.
1/4 a bunch of cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 beaten egg
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
The juice of 1 lemon and zest
About 2 cups of Panko breadcrumbs
Fresh cracked pepper, a generous amount
1. In a large bowl combine salmon, yellow onion, bread, cilantro, egg, Jalapeno, lemon and zest, and fresh cracked pepper. Set aside.
2. Place Panko breadcrumbs in a large pasta bowl. Set aside.
3. Make sauce. See below.
4. Take about 3 tablespoons of salmon mixture and make into a cake. Then, GENTLY set into Panko breadcrumbs and cover the entire cake. Have a large platter ready to set the salmon cakes on after you form them.
5. Place paper towels on a flat surface for when the salmon cakes come out.
6. Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan on med-hi heat (adjusting if to hot).
7. Place your salmon cakes in hot pan (do not over-crowd), these cook very fast so, keep a close eye on them. Brown both sides. Place on prepared paper towels. These can be served immediately or at room temperature. Dollop with hoisin sauce.
¼ cup hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 ½ teaspoons chili garlic sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Mix all ingredients together.
Peter’s Wine Pick: Schramsberg Sparkling Wine